Our 85 Year History
Tippet-Richardson was founded in 1927, with its primary goal to provide high quality residential and commercial moving services in the Toronto area. The two founding partners were Basil Tippet and C.A. Richardson.
Using a rented warehouse and one van, the new company commenced operation on the highways as an independent operator moving furniture. At that time the bulk of their business was to and from the U.S., Ontario and Quebec. Back then there was no Canadian highway into Western Canada, and in order to make its western deliveries, the company was required to travel through the U.S.
In 1929 we became an agent of Allied Van Lines Inc, (USA). Later that year we became an agent of Allied Van Lines Limited (Canada). The Canadian company was not connected with Allied Van Lines Inc,(USA). This provided us the ability to service customers to various States the US and were therefore granted by the ICC rights to travel into those states.
In 1934, the two partners separated, and Basil Tippet bought his partner out. In 1947, the first experimental trips were being made into Western Canada using the new Canadian highway. These were exciting times.
In the 1950′s, the company expanded into Hamilton, Ottawa, Stratford and Waterloo, Ontario. Mr. Tippet died in 1959, and the company continued operating and expanding.
The ’70′s brought new acquisitions including Anderson Van & Storage in London, Ontario and King Moving & Storage in Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray, Alberta.
The ’80′s saw increased growth and development. Expansion into Business Records, Special Products and Overseas Moving helped propel the company forward. An office was opened in San Jose, California, and thus T-R Inc. was formed. In 1987, one of the oldest Canadian moving companies, The Windsor Truck & Storage Company, established in 1880, was purchased in Windsor, Ontario. Other acquisitions included an office in Vancouver, B.C. and Maritime Moving & Warehousing in Halifax, N.S., Saint John and Oromocto, N.B.
In 2001, a new branch was opened in Montreal, Quebec and Fisher Express Lines, established in 1871, was purchased in Toronto.
In 2006 the company was purchased by John Novak and the name was changed to Tippet-Richardson Limited. We are a Toronto headquartered Canadian company with branches located in Toronto, Ottawa, Windsor, London, Kitchener and Montreal. It is a privately owned and operated company registered under the laws of the province of Ontario.
Tippet-Richardson Limited and currently employs 400 staff nationwide which includes 160 employees in the Toronto location – 100 full-time and 60 part-time.